- Addison, P.F.E., Rumpff, L., Bau, S.S., Carey, J.M., Chee, Y.E., Jarrad, F., McBride, M.F. & Burgman, M.A. (2013) Practical solutions for making models indispensable in conservation decision-making. Diversity and Distributions. 19: 490-502.
- Lewis, J.A., Baran, I.J., Carey, J.M. & Fletcher, L.E. (2010) A contaminant in decline: long-term TBT monitoring at a naval base in Western Australia. Australian Journal of Ecotoxicology. 16: 17-34.
- Shepherd, S.A., Watson, J.E., Womersley, H.B.S., & Carey, J.M. (2009) Long-term changes in macroalgal assemblages after increased sedimentation and turbidity in Western Port, Victoria, Australia. Botanica Marina. 52: 195-206.
- Molino, P.J., Childs, S., Eason Hubbard, M.R., Carey, J.M., Burgman, M.A. & Wetherbee, R. (2009) Development of the primary bacterial microfouling layer on antifouling and fouling release coatings in temperate and tropical environments in Eastern Australia. Biofouling. 25: 1-14.
- Carey, J.M. & Burgman, M.A. (2008) Linguistic uncertainty in qualitative risk analysis and how to minimize it. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1128: 13-17.
- Carey, J.M., Beilin, R., Boxshall, A., Burgman, M.A.& Flander, L. (2007) Risk-based approaches to deal with uncertainty in a data-poor system: stakeholder involvement in hazard identification for marine national parks and marine sanctuaries in Victoria, Australia. Risk Analysis. 27: 271-281.
- Carey, J.M., Burgman, M.A., Miller, C. & Chee, Y.E. (2005) An application of qualitative risk assessment in park management. Australasian Journal of Environmental Management. 12: 6-15.
- Carey, J.M. & Keough, M.J. (2002) Compositing and subsampling to reduce costs and improve power in benthic infaunal monitoring programs. Estuaries. 25(5): 1053-1061.
- Carey, J.M. & Keough, M.J. (2002) The variability of estimates of variance, and its effect on power analysis in monitoring design. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 74(3): 225-241.
- Carey, J.M. & Watson, J.E. (1992) Benthos of the Muddy Bottom Habitat of the Geelong Arm of Port Phillip Bay, Victoria, Australia. The Victorian Naturalist 109(6):196-202.
- Carey, J.M. (2004) The variability of estimates of variance: how it can affect power analysis in monitoring design. In: Environmental Monitoring. Wiersma, G.B. (Ed.) CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, Florida. (a more general version of the Environ. Monit. Assess. paper, with additional material on dealing with variability)
- Hinwood, J.B., Potts, A.E., Dennis, L.R., Carey, J.M., Houridis, H., Bell, R.J., Thompson, J.R., Boudreau, P. & Ayling, A.M. (1994) Drilling activities. In: Environmental Implications of Offshore Oil and Gas Development in Australia – the Findings of an Independent Scientific Review. Swan, J.M., Neff, J.M. & Young, P.C. (Eds). Australian Petroleum Exploration Association, Sydney. pp 123-207.
- Carey, J.M. (2013) Risk Assessment for VRCA Corio Bay Channel Safety Adjustment Program- updated assessment October 2012. Report to the Victorian Regional Channels Authority, Geelong.
- Pocklington, J.B., Carey, J.M., Murshed, M.D.T. & Howe, S.A.J. (2012) Conceptual Models for Victorian Ecosystems: Marine and Estuarine Ecosystems. Parks Victoria Technical Series No. 66. Parks Victoria, Melbourne.
- Carey, J.M. (2011) Summary of environmental scorecard approaches and assessment of the suitability of using environmental scorecards for marine ecosystems in Victoria. Report for Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment. Draft, June 2011.
- Carey, J.M. (2011) Risk Assessment for VRCA Corio Bay Channel Safety Adjustment Program. Report to the Victorian Regional Channels Authority, Geelong.
- Thomason, N., Burgman, M., Carey, J., Barnard, K., Wintle, B. & Fidler, F. (2009) Plain English for Risk Communication. Final report, ACERA Project No. 0805. Australian Centre of Excellence for Risk Analysis, Melbourne.
- Carey, J.M., Boxshall, A., Burgman, M.A., Beilin, R. & Flander, L. (2007) State-wide Synthesis of Threats to Natural Values in Victoria’s Marine National Parks and Marine Sanctuaries. Parks Victoria Technical Series No. 34. Parks Victoria, Melbourne.
- Carey, J.M., Burgman, M.A., Boxshall, A., Beilin, R., Flander, L., Pegler, P. & White, A. (2007) Identification of Threats to Natural Values in Victoria’s Marine National Parks and Marine Sanctuaries. Parks Victoria Technical Series No. 33. Parks Victoria, Melbourne.
- Johnston, E., Carey, J. & Knott, N. (2006) Ecological issues in relation to BlueScope Steel SCP proposed salt water cooling. Report to CH2M Hill Australia Pty Ltd. NSG Consulting, Sydney.
- Fox, D., Molloy, R., Rixon, A., Tjandraatmadja, G. & Carey, J. (2006) Review and Statistical Assessment of Trade Waste Data in Victoria. Report to Department of Sustainability and Environment. Australian Centre for Environmetrics, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne.
- Carey, J., Fox, D., Burgman, M., Chee, Y., Hart, B.T., Pollino, C., Chan, T., White, A., Grace, M., Henderson, B. and Bui, E. (2006) Guidelines for Quantifying the Ecological Risks from Contaminants in Catchments, LWA/MDBC Project UMO43 – Report No 1, Land & Water Australia, Canberra.
- Carey, J. (2005) Review of the likely ecological effects of increased water temperatures in Allans Creek and Port Kembla Harbour. Report to BlueScope Steel (AIS) Pty Ltd.
- Hart, B., Burgman, M., Webb, A., Allison, G., Chapman, M., Duivenvoorden, L., Feehan, P., Grace, M., Lund, M., Pollino, C., Carey, J. & McCrea, A. (2005) Ecological Risk Management Framework for the Irrigation Industry. Report to National Program for Sustainable Irrigation (NPSI) by Water Studies Centre, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria.
- Carey, J.M., Burgman, M.A. & Chee, Y.E. (2004) Risk Assessment and the Concept of Ecosystem Condition in Park Management. Parks Victoria Technical Series No. 13. Parks Victoria, Melbourne.
Published Conference Proceedings
- Carey, J.M., Hinwood, J.B. & Watson, J.E. (1993) An integrated ecological-physical study of a port. Proceedings of 11th Australasian Conference on Coastal and Ocean Engineering. The Institute of Engineers, Australia.